Friday, June 22, 2012

Keep it Real

The point of my blog tonight is very specific.  Very.  I joined the event "Keep it Real Movement" on Facebook.  It's about holding magazines accountable for showing REALISTIC pictures of celebrities.  The goal is for ONE picture in each magazine per edition to be unedited.   Just one picture of what a celebrity looks like without Photoshop can make a difference in the mind of a young girl.  In the mind of a grown woman. 

Who says that we must look a certain away, weigh a certain amount, wear certain clothes, so on and so forth.  Society, some random people we don't know and honestly probably wouldn't like anyway.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being thin if you are healthy about it.  But guess what?  Thin is different for every body size, shape, and person. 

Being healthy is the goal.  As such, I decided to  join My Fitness Pal.com.  I haven't been watching what I eat and won't for the first week.  I want a really good look at what my "normal" diet looks like.  Two days in and I can say my calories are good, but I had no idea on the fat content.  WHOA, gotta cut some dairy.  But the point here is that I am doing this to be healthy.  I want to have more energy for my kids, I want  to feel better, sleep better.   I want to live longer (God willing) and see my babies have babies and enjoy retirement with my husband. 

Added to the that the VERY MOST IMPORTANT (and yes I realize that is terrible grammar) reason I respond to this Keep it real initiative is that I have 2 beautiful, bright, amazing, awesome, sweet, loving, generous girls that I want to be valued for more than the way the look.  Their personalities shine brighter than the sun and their joy for life should never be diminished by someone telling them they aren't "enough." 

They are enough, they are MORE than enough in every way imaginable.  I want for my girls to work hard at everything (even their pesky chores), find their passion in life and live it, be a bright and shiny star for God, and know that all things in life are worth working for, sweating for, and dreaming as high as the sky. 

I want them to know that they can achieve and if they fail, they just need to try a different way, be adaptable.  Failure isn't the end, it's a learning tool. 

Generosity, Hope, Grace, Faith, Love, Determination, Discipline....these are things my daughters were born with and I intend to help them develop those muscles.  Their inner beauty will shine brighter than anything else.  Their eyes will be bright with love, their smile shining with grace, their words affirming with hope and encouragement. 

So let us be the ones to say enough is enough.  And let's place value on what's really important. 

“For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
 For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
 For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
 For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
 For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
 People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
 As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.”

Sam Levenson


A small note:  It's becoming a very real issue for boys as well.  I pray that my boys never feel any less than what they are based on their looks(or abs) as well.  My boys are beautiful inside and out, they are capable, they are wonderfully made. 

P.P.S (HA) I'd like to issue a challenge to my friends, join me on My Fitness Pal.com and lets conquer our health together.  I want to be the one to place limits on my body, not my body putting limits on me.  Plus, I could use the accountability!  My user name is Inshockmom.  Find me, friend me, encourage me! 



A reminder from your Abba who loves you:

"...What matters is not your outer appearance—the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes—but your inner disposition.
4-6Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. The holy women of old were beautiful before God that way, and were good, loyal wives to their husbands. Sarah, for instance, taking care of Abraham, would address him as "my dear husband." You'll be true daughters of Sarah if you do the same, unanxious and unintimidated.   1 Peter 3:4-6 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment